Cwmtillery Lakes

A Local Nature Reserve and Community Green Flag Award Winner

4596611764_271x170.jpg

Cwmtillery Lower Lake

P

P

Cwmtillery Upper Lake

Cwmtillery Lower Lake

Cwmtillery Lower Lake

There is a good size car park near the eastern bank of the lake

HOW TO GET TO CWMTILLERY LAKES

To get directions to the parking area at the Lower Lake ( marked 'P1' on the above map ), please click on the GOOGLE Map to the right, and then click on "view larger map".

Cwmtillery Lakes.

Cwmtillery Lakes and the upper Tyleri Valley are rightly regarded as one of the 'jewels in the crown' in Blaenau Gwent.

The Lower Lake, once a feeder pond for Cwmtillery Colliery is a haven to a variety of wildlife including wildfowl.

The facing slopes of the Gwastod are the only home in the UK of the Salurian Moth.

The Lake is a wonderful gateway to the cultural and natural riches further up the Tyleri Valley and over towards the World Heritage Site at Blaenafon.

To find out more about Cwmtillery Lakes and a walk know as the Horse Shoe Bend Walk view the information panels next to the parking area beside Cwmtillery Lakes.   

Interpretation Panel at Cwmtillery Botto
Interpretation Panel at Cwmtillery Botto
press to zoom
Cwmtilery Lake June 2011 02
Cwmtilery Lake June 2011 02
press to zoom
Cwmtilery Lake June 2011 03
Cwmtilery Lake June 2011 03
press to zoom
Cwmtilery Lake June 2011 04
Cwmtilery Lake June 2011 04
press to zoom
Cwmtilery Lake June 2011 01
Cwmtilery Lake June 2011 01
press to zoom
Cwmtilery Lake June 2011 05
Cwmtilery Lake June 2011 05
press to zoom
Cwmtilery Lake June 2011 0
Cwmtilery Lake June 2011 0
press to zoom
Cwmtilery Lake June 2011 07
Cwmtilery Lake June 2011 07
press to zoom
Cwmtilery Lake June 2011 08
Cwmtilery Lake June 2011 08
press to zoom
Cwmtilery Lake June 2011 09
Cwmtilery Lake June 2011 09
press to zoom
Cwmtilery Lake June 2011 10
Cwmtilery Lake June 2011 10
press to zoom
screencapture-ebbwfachtrail-org-uk-cwmti
screencapture-ebbwfachtrail-org-uk-cwmti
press to zoom
Upper Lake
Upper Lake
press to zoom

The Interpretation Panel above shows a map of the trail to Roseheyworth Woodlands and an identical panel can be found at Roseheyworth.

Cwmtillery Colliery

it seems Cwmtillery had little change by 1799, when Archdeacon Coxe described it as "An extensive district, well peopled, richly wooded and well cultivated, almost rivalling the fertile counties of England.. we looked down with delight on numerous valleys which abound with romantic scenery... "

The valley had indeed been cultivated from earliest times, records dated 1694 show John Lewis Thomas, Evan John Harry and Lewis Harry Lewis among the smallholders.

By the 19th Century, all this was to change, 1850 saw the sinking of the Cwmtillery Colliery - The industrial Revolution had arrived.

A second shaft was sunk in 1858 and 1860 saw the opening of Pen-y-Bont Pit, further down the valley.   

4604749632_68x66.jpg

Return to 

"Green Spaces " Page