Points of Interest
To find out the location of these "Points of Interest" along the Trail, in a Google Map, please click on the following link.
Brynmawr & District Museum
The museum address is :-
Market Street, Brynmawr, Blaenau Gwent, NP23 4AJ Tel :-01495 313900
Opening Times :-
Thursday : 08.30 a.m. to 12.00 noon; and 2.00 p.m. to 4.00 p.m.
Friday: 10.00 a.m. to 12.00 noon; and 2.00 p.m. to 4.00 p.m.
Saturday: 10.00 a.m. to 12.00 noon
Coffee Morning : Thursday: 8.30 a.m. to 12.00 noon
The museum is run by the Brynmawr and District Museum Society and has won the Nationwide Building Society award for Community Endeavour. It has a varied collection of everyday artefacts including a collection of Brynmawr Furniture manufactured by one of the small industries set up by the Quakers in The Brynmawr Experiment.
To visit the Brynmawr Museum & District Museum website, please click on the link below
Whilst doing some research for this website, I found two websites created by Mr Jeffrey.L.Thomas of Scranton Pennsylvania, who spent many years researching his family roots back to Brynmawr. His main Ancestry website is full of information and photographs of Brynmawr and its surrounding area including the museum. I have contacted Mr Thomas and he has kindly given permission to link to his websites. A links to his other website about the Castles of Wales can be found on the Castle Taliorum page on this website. Both these websites are well worth a visit.
To visit his Ancestry website, please click on the following link.
The Nantyglo Roundhouses.
The Nantyglo Roundhouses complex is a unique relic of the Industrial Revolution. It was built in about
1816 by Joseph and Crawshay Bailey, the Ironmasters of the Nantyglo Ironworks, as a refuge against armed revolt by their workforce. It was the last private castle built in Britain.
To find out more about the Roundhouse Towers, visit the BGCBC website, please click here.
Also:-The Brynmawr Wales History - Genealogy project website by Jeffrey.L.Thomas, please click here.
At a height of 1800 ft ( 500 M) Mynydd Carn-y-Cefn is a Bronze age burial cairn dating to about 1700 BC.
Photographs of a walk around Mynydd Carn-y-Cefn showing both the Ebbw Fawr and Ebbw Fach valleys can be found on the 'Ebbw Vale' website, created by 'Bioeddie'.
To access the website, please click on the following link
The Royal Oak Inn
The Royal Oak Inn was the home of Zepheniah Williams, leader of the Blaenau Gwent Chartists in the rising of 1839.
He was a Master Collier and innkeeper, keeping the Royal Oak Inn at Nantyglo, from where he used to pay his colliers, was a free thinking man in religious matters and the local Working Men's Association met at his home. It was at this time only natural that such a man would emerge as a natural leader during the Chartist movement in south east Wales. Along with John Frost and William Jones, he led a large column of men from the Nantyglo area to march south on the Westgate Hotel, Newport, site of what is sometimes regarded as the greatest armed rebellion in 19th century Britain.
He was subsequently convicted for his part in the Chartist Newport Rising at Newport, Monmouthshire in 1839 and deported to Australia
Further information with photographs on the Chartists can be found in the History of Ebbw Vale Section of the Ebbw Vale website, created by 'Bioeddie'.
To visit the Chartist section, please click here.
Blaina Heritage Centre.
Housed in state of the art display cases, artefacts can be found depicting local community life.To find out more about the Blaina Heritage Centre please visit the Blaina Heritage Action Group Museum website by clicking here.
Ty Nest Llewellyn
The remains of the home of Nest Llewellyn, one of the founders of Nonconformity in the area, can be found on the north-west bank of Cwmtillery Lake.
To learn more about Ty Nest Llewellyn, please visit the Aneurin Leisure website, by clicking here.
Abertillery & District Museum
The museum contains artefacts relating to the the town from prehistoric times. To find out more about the museum, please visit the Abertillery & District Museum Society Website by clicking here.
The Six Bells Colliery Site
This is the site of the Six Bells Colliery, where a mining disaster killed 45 men on June 28th 1960.
This project is centered around creating open and accessible spaces for our community and attracting visitors to the area.
There will be increased planting to help support wildlife in the area and nature trails.
Work has already begun with the installation of walkways, seating, native planting and BBQ areas. Further work will include a new cycle route (linking Abertillery and Llanhilleth), increased walkways, heritage and environmental information, seating and family areas.
The site is also the location of the new Six Bells Miners Memorial and hosts the 'Six Bells Pit Party' - an annual community celebration held in May.
To find out more about the Colliery Site and the disaster, please visit
the "Out of the blue artifacts" website by clicking on the following link
St Illtyd's Church
This is the oldest building in Blaenau Gwent. The church dates back to c.1250 on site of older building of 9th or 10th century. Castle mound may date to 1093.
To find more about the church, please visit the BGCBC website by clicking here.
Please visit the "The Friends of St Illtyd's Church"' Website, by clicking here.
The site of medieval castle, c.1260-1350, excavated in 1920's.
To find out more about Castell Taliorum, Please visit the BGCBC website, by clicking here.
Also, visit the Castles of Wales Website by Jeffrey.L.Thomas by clicking here.
The Packhorse Bridge at Aberbeeg
A well-preserved example of a 17th Century packhorse bridge.
Llanhilleth Miners Institute
The institute was opened in May 1906 and the building was saved from extinction and restored through a joint initiative by Blaenau Gwent CBC and Communities First.It is now a community resource.
To find out more about the Llanhilleth Institute, please visit their website by clicking here.